Saturday, February 1, 2014

Saturday Night In the City with Tristan J.

Saturday Night In the City: Who I Am & What We Are
The Lehigh Valley is a community Sing for America has, in my mind, covered in its mission and performance. We’ve got the T’s: Taryn, Tasia, & Teara; and the J’s: Jewel & Jorne; and we also have me, the TJ. I’m Tristan J. Shuler, the long lost Gilbert, we’ve discovered. So don’t ask if we’re actually related. We get it all the time…and we are. We united 5 years ago in a production of All Shook Up! at The Pennsylvania Playhouse, whereas we’ve all performed and run around the Valley in all sorts of theatrical events and performance houses. So we were bound to reunite eventually. I mean, we parted at birth, and the stars were destined to align.

ANYWAY, I bring up the Lehigh Valley because I spent ten years living there, and I now live in Manhattan of New York City. It’s crazy, and I’ll tell you all about that in the weeks to come. But the Lehigh Valley is such a cultured area in the dramatic arts, I’ve found. What a leap, from Pennsylvania to NYC, but I’ve witnessed others my age here who have barely had the exposure that I’ve reveled in while in the Valley. Theatre is necessary, absolutely necessary in a cultural environment that aims to educate, inspire, and bring forth successful youth. Acting is transcendent, and I don’t mean to sound hoity toity, but it is. It’s understanding what it’s like to be a human being (which Lord knows I’m figuring out) and it’s understanding what it’s like to care for other people in an ensemble and the basics of cooperation, dedication, and working towards some goal.

Performance, whether dramatic, athletic, politic, it is performance and it can do wonders. What Sing for America does that’s even more wonderful is donate what we make towards local military families in need through the Blue Star Mothers. Wow. We perform to honor those who serve. I grew up in a military family, and perhaps that’s what draws me so much to this mission and this company. I am so grateful for what they have gone through and what they continue to go through living a life of service as it continues through the generations. I had the pleasure of performing with my sister, who at the time was in the Reserves, in The Wiz. I was the Tinman and she the eccentric witch Addaperle. It was truly awe-inspiring and at the same time so much fun to work with someone I grew up with doing my passion and serving a greater cause with a group of people I care about endlessly. SO MUCH GOODNESS, IT’S LIKE A RED VELVET CUPCAKE.

ANYWAY, the actual experience of rehearsals to performance to after-show is quite the unique on that Sing for America brings. People I would have never expected to be “doing theatre,” whatever that means, are changed by the experience and love coming back each rehearsal. I watch a few of our returning cast members get better and better and happier and happier and find solace and belonging in the process of “doing a show.” There’s a tacit care for each other that we’ve all built together. And even with professional or more experienced performers in our casts, the essence of family never fails to exist. The doing of theatre changes people. And I can’t help but think that there is some greater good that Sing for America has done in addition to our mission to serve those who serve. We’re serving so much more.

And when it comes to personality, BABY JESUS, if you follow this blog right on down the yellow brick road, you will see a bunch of it!

This post is mainly to give a completely honest word vomit of what Sing for America is to me, why people sometimes think that I’m not actually a Gilbert, and a little bit of bragging about how awesome we are. Just being honest. You’ll soon see I never tell a lie. That’s all Jewel ;) In the weeks to come, I'll talk about how I'm numb right now from getting a new tooth or some of the best encounters and experiences I've come across in the city or the endless stories of how none of us get any sleep. So stay tuned, yo!

But about me, since I oughta introduce what I’m like before I keep on posting Saturday Nights in the City expecting you all to pay attention. My name is Tristan J. Shuler. I live in New York City. My favorite color is lime green though I am a fan of wearing colorful pants of all colors. My favorite movie is Moulin Rouge. My favorite book is The Stranger by Albert Camus. I’m an actor, director, playwright, choreographer, and event planner by nature. I’m also a lighting designer, set builder, music director, stage manager, and sound operator by Sing for America. I like Oreos and orange soda. I’m also really into those Pirouette wafers lately. Nothing else defines me, since definition isn’t definite. I’d rather be perceived. So get to know me, and I can’t wait to get to know all the readers out there.

                                                           Namaste,                                                                                    Tristan J. Shuler

No comments:

Post a Comment