Monday, February 10, 2014

Tips On Directing Your Very Own Production!

    Hello ladies and gentleman! I hope everyone has been enjoying our blog posts! We are having a blast writing them and I hope they are giving you more of an idea of who we are. Today I want to discuss with you an aspect of our shows that's near and dear to my heart, and that would be directing.
     As I told you, I'm the oldest of the family so naturally being in charge and being a leader is in my blood. When we did our first production it was a no brainer and a unanimous decision that I would be director for the first show. I was so excited and although I knew it would be a lot of responsibility I was prepared for it.
     I think what makes me a good director is that I have a very commanding personality, I'm good at telling people what to do, I can be very good at organizing (although I don't always apply that in everyday life haha), I'm very decisive, and I can talk to anyone from little kids to adults on their own level. Of course I could think of just as many things, if not more, that I could improve on to make me a better director but I believe those qualities are what sets me apart from other directors.
     As a director there are so many things you are in charge of and it is definitely overwhelming at first. Its a position that people see as the head honcho, the big kahuna, the one that makes the decisions and..... the one to blame if the production tanks. There are so many things to think about and figure out and work out and it is no tea party. Some of the most important things to remember as a director are as follows:

1. You must be in constant communication with your cast.

   In other productions you'll find that the stage manager is usually the one to send out the cast emails with information about rehearsals, shows, cancellations, changes, etc. But in our productions I like to be the one to do this so the cast feels close to me as the director and we have a direct relationship. I try to contact the cast every day.

2. You have to have a vision of what you want the show to look like.

    Its very important to know what you want the look to be before you attempt to block any scenes or choreograph any dances. I don't mean having every movement of every actor mapped out in your head beforehand, I just mean having a vision in your head of what you want the audience to get out of each scene.

3. You must be patient (especially when working with amateur actors)

   Most of the people we work with are not professional actors. In fact many of them had never done any theater before they were a part of our shows. When you work with people, from kids to adults, you just have to have a certain amount of patience and know how to get what you need out of the people you're working with. Different people respond to different approaches.

4. Be positive!

   Even if your actors aren't exactly where you want them to be it is important to always couple the yelling and corrections and everything with something positive. In my experience I've worked with so many levels and its easy to get frustrated. But I've learned that before I yell at them for not doing what they're supposed to be doing it helps to give them a boost and tell them something that they did well. You really have to feel out your cast and decide what the best way is to handle situations. Every cast is different.


   So those are some tips I have for anybody looking to direct a show in the future. I have had a blast directing. I definitely feel at home in that position and as much as I love being on stage, I love directing just as much. I love the feeling I get when I've finished a production and it goes over really well and the audience loves it! Now of course our shows are truly a family effort and we all put our ideas and thoughts and everything into each show but I feel that when I'm directing everyone falls into their places and we work perfectly as a team. I always have a hard time giving up the position because we take turns directing haha. Maybe its just the oldest child syndrome, loving to be in charge and tell people what to do.. but whatever it is I just love it!

Until next week,
Taryn


Me with some of our youngest cast mates of "Babes In Toyland!" These girls were the best!


Curtain Speech!!!! Love talking to the audience!!!


Here is a copy of my very first "Director's Notes"


No comments:

Post a Comment