Friday, January 31, 2014

There's More to Life Than Yoga Pants

     Fashion design is one of my loves, one of my passions. I even seriously considered going to school for it for a hot minute, but decided against it for a plethora of reasons, among them being that that world is far too cutthroat, catty, and ruthless for me. So I stuck to theatre. Uh, yea. Creating something out of nothing allures me. Creating something entirely unique and possessing the true essence of its maker, which said maker may then proceed to drape himself in and parade around like a banner, subject to the scrutiny of every single passer by, is not exactly for the weak or insecure. Although I will say the "style" nowadays does make it somewhat easier for the novice or the afraid to brave their own storm, for we are amidst a time when one can assuredly traipse about in just about anything.  Unless, that is if a girl wishes to fully embody everything it is to be a beautiful woman, demonstrating style, elegance, and individuality; or if a young man wants to be the type of gent who, after entering a room and seeing the expressions on everyone's faces, can't help but wish just a little that there had been a mirror across the way. Because if either of those is the case, both of these poor people's efforts and grace and panache is all but for naught, as it is being thrust upon an era of complete disregard for personal aesthetic.
     Regrettably this is the reality of today.
     Now please forgive me here for using absolutes.  I know full well that all this gibberish doesn't apply to everyone. I'm even acquainted with three or four- no just three I think- individuals, to whom none of this applies... and two of them are Stacy and Clinton... with whom I'm not actually acquainted in "real life." But the simple fact is I like absolutes. Absolutes more emphatically state my point. So if that bothers you, well #sorrynotsorry.
     So anyway, as if the pressure to be "cool" like everyone else isn't enough already, add that to the popular mantra of being yourself and you have yourself a whole bunch of confused, astray, and creatively exhausted...(or just pure lazy) people. All of these people living under the false pretense that tshirts and leggings 24-7 is perfectly appropriate. I shouldn't really say "false" because, well in some cases perception is reality, (and in fact the whole world of fashion epitomizes that statement more accurately that probably anything else,) and so technically it is more or less socially acceptable.
     Now let's just talk about men and attraction for a second. There are plenty of boys who say they don't care what a girl is wearing, they care about the girl. And there are plenty of boys who say they love to see a girl who's comfortable enough in herself to wear "comfy clothes" out. I mean there are also plenty of boys who are lying for various reasons, but for the sake of the argument let's say every one of them is sincere. Let's also say for the sake of the argument that confidence and ugly clothes

are indeed related in any way. So in that case don't get me wrong, I think boys not caring is just lovely. I'll even go so far as to say that it's endearing. I can fully understand that. What I fail to understand is why society is so blind as to think that potential boyfriends and girlfriends is the reason we get dressed in the morning. Hello. It's not. I hate to watch as we completely wash away the standards each of us should hold ourselves to. Because inevitably the standard we hold ourselves to
is the standard the outside world will hold us to.
      I believe a person's wardrobe should reflect who they think they are on the inside, (or at least who they want others to think they are.) It's like if we lived in a world where everyone was a fruit. All different outer layers, each projecting something distinctive and exciting. But one day many fruits decided it would be so much easier if while getting dressed every morning, they only had one option. So everyone went out and bought expensive brand name avocado skins (yes, avocados are a fruit,

perhaps the most unappealing of them all... catch my drift?)... except for the non conformists who bought generic avocado skins. Well now the whole fruit world is dull and nobody gets to catch a taste of the sweet or tangy or juicy inside by catching a glimpse of the outside. And not only that but they all think they're cute and hip when they're really just ugly and lumpy and dark green.
     I do fully believe we are slowly but surely emerging from this slump, but it is up to us to quicken the process. So here's what I'm saying: I want to see people dress like they care that they are alive and a person. Go somewhere and look like you were aware of the fact that you would be leaving your house today. If you want to step out of the box but you are scared that people will think you look stupid or you're showing off... do it. You have literally nothing to lose. If you already are fabulous

and getting tired of others' apathy towards your fabulousness and lack of fabulousness themselves, don't be discouraged. Because at the end of the day there will always be someone out there who cares. And if not, there will always be me. I care.
     Be fabulous. Be spontaneous. Be alive.







     Here is a very rough and slightly man-ish faced, (don't judge me,) sketch of costumes for the Valentines Day show Jorne told you all about yesterday. I'm pretty thrilled because I don't often design pink dresses for our shows! They'll be pink, white, and red for me, Tasia, and Taryn respectively with matching rhinestone stockings. Then if I have time I'll make the boys something... if not it's nbd I'm sure they'll be comfortable in their underwear.
    What do you think? (of the dress design.)

1 comment: