Thursday, February 6, 2014

How to write the best musical ever!!!!

     
 
      Hey everybody. I wanted to tell you today about really what is taking up most of time right now besides the obvious  of course. What the five of us are all doing right now is writing our own full fledged musical. For those of you who aren't really into musical theatre then this post isn't for you. Sorry. But for those of you who are interested or want to learn about it then you are in the exact right place to gain some knowledge about what you love or what you will grow to love. I have been in theatre pretty much my whole life there are the shows you love, the one's you hate and the one's you say ahh it was neither here nor there. Some shows I love are Aida, Hairspray, Newsies, West Side Story and then a whole bunch more for the other two groups. I'm not gonna name any name's because I don't want to get negative. Anyway what makes the shows I love so good is not just one lead or one scene or one song, it's the collective of every one of the smallest details put together to create an outcome that makes the audience stand,  be anxious throughout the whole show, 
not want to leave for intermission, etc. These are the things that make a show great. Now saying all this, this is the effect we are trying get when writing. We want the audience to not want to go home; to have them just sit in the theater after bows and hope there's an act three. So let me actually get to the real point, I want to take you through the beginning process of writing you own show like this. First when you decide to write a show you need to know what its gonna be about. Of course this may take a little while but once you come up with a topic you like you will just feel right about it and there will be no looking back from then on. After the topic you need a story and what the story does is creates a place were you can make you topic come to life in the show. That may have been a little confusing, you might think "but my topic is my story," let me explain myself real quick. By topic I really mean the meaning behind your story. It's the message you want to share with everyone that sees your show, the real purpose to writing a show to begin with. The story is to help you put forth your message in a way that you like and the audience will like. I hope I cleared that up for anyone I confused. The next step in writing the show is the characters. Is it a big cast? Small cast? Maybe there are only two people in the cast. It's really whatever you want it to be. For our show we are writing it to be adaptable from a five person cast to a thirty person cast, so it is really up to you. Now you have a really good starting point for the plot and script. So the plot: that's pretty much just adding to the story you already have. This isn't too bad, it just means you have to finalize the play you want to write. For the script, well this is honestly the funnest (yes that's  right I used the so called made up word funnest. I will not conform  to this rule of saying 'most fun') part. You pretty much just sit around and think about what each character would say and do and everything like that and it may take a long time but its a good time. Next a really big part is songs. This is imperative because a show with bad songs equals a bad show all together. So make sure every song you write is one you love and you can't go wrong. If you don't know anything about music then get a friend or a professional to help. If you don't want to do either of these things then you might want to just write a play. These are the basics to writing your own musical. It may take you a long time, meaning 4 years. Yeah I know sounds like a lifetime but it just might take that long. Or it might just take you a few months. We are trying to go fast so we hope to complete our show and be workshopping it in within several months. Now if you are inspired to write a musical from this post I'm really happy, but if not I hope you at least learned some valuable information. I hope you enjoyed reading my post and please everyone comment on what you would like me to talk about next week. Thanks and have a nice night.

No comments:

Post a Comment