Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Greatness Won't Compromise



 Next week I WILL write something specifically about music itself or our show. But things keep happening I have to write on so once again I'm pulling my soapbox out of my pocket (yeah it is travel size.)
   Being an entertainer is a huge responsibility. What people see on stage and screen effects them consciously and sub-consciously more than we know. So I have 3 stipulations before doing anything
 1. Will the entire project have a wholesome effect on those in it and especially the audience?
 2. Will my part improve me as a human and positively pull the crowd?
 3. If the project is questionable, but I feel my character is powerfully positive, do I need to play it?

   These are broad and vague so if anyone would like them explained please ask. Realize your power when on 'stage,' performers reach people's deepest emotions without knowing it. THIS IS WHY WHAT YOU DO MATTERS!
     I have had to walk away from 4 big projects I can think of . Each one ,for some reason or another, broke one of my stipulations. I was a little down each time, but truthfully I was and am happy I did it. When you stand by what you believe in it is hard but soooooo liberating when you walk away and trust yourself.
     Now I challenge all of you and myself not to just turn down projects we feel are wrong but to say yes only to those we feel are right, good, and just. I challenge us to be an example in the spotlight. Directors and peers will belittle and denounce us and our beliefs, but I promise you looking back at my 19 years there is NOTHING I'm more proud of.
    Write out your stipulations, believe in something, have strength, you WILL be filled with joy and proudly free!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment