Tuesday, February 18, 2014

No Genre-Be Undefinable

Whew, I am beat from all this snow we are getting in eastern P.A.! I absolutely love the snow but not shoveling. I've been helping my uncle at his car lot and I think I've pushed more cars out of snowbanks this weekend than ever.!
As we write our original musical the same problem we have always had arises........our genre. One good thing is that doing it in a musical format does is make it easier and take some of the weight off your decision because it is in the context of the show and you may not sing it for the rest of your life. Still the songs are being written to perform outside of the show so there is still considerable pressure.
Opposite of any producer, my opinion is to ignore the boundaries of musical classifications and just write. The artist who inspired me the most on this subject is B.o.B(Nothin On You, Airplanes) who consistently defies the rules of the hip-hop and pop world. He even has a mixtape titled No Genre. He goes from singing alternative (think Jason Mraz) to Soul, to Southern Rap, to Bangerz, to Caribbean, to Gangsta Rap, to almost Poetry, to Funk, to Punk, to Pop, to Rock. Yet the entire time with a particular flair style and lyric that makes each song distinguishable as Bobby Ray. No, although he had multiple 4x platinum hits, he doesn't sell the albums or have as large a following as his more conventional counterparts. But that is proof that money isn't why he is in it. It is about the MUSIC. I want to be like this.
I love the best of ALL kinds of music...honestly. So I have a hard time because it is like I want to shove it all into one. Musically though I know more of what I want. Very pure and string heavy while having those beautifully powerful piano chords and melodies. To contrast this, percussion strong and often tribal sounding (think Imagine Dragons and F.u.n). That would be the more constant. Song by song may be more guitar heavy, I love the harp and definitely a lot of woodwinds, brass, and reeds.
The singing and style is harder. Here is my long list of influences:


Frank Sinatra                    Chubby Checker                                                                                               Nat King Cole                   The Temptations
Perry Como                       The Foundations
Sammy Davis Jr.                Ronettes
Johnny Mathis                    Supremes
Dion and the Belmonts       Little Richard
Andrew Sisters                   James Brown
Bing Crosby




Jackson 5                         Grandmaster Flash
Bootsy                              Krs-one
Earth wind and Fire         Run DMC
Osmonds                          New Edition
Queen                               Seal( Kiss From a Rose specifically)
Journey                             Oasis
                                          R. Kelly

We the Kings                    Vivaldi
Train                                  Owl City
Christina Perri                    F.U.N
Alicia Keys                        One Republic
Creed                                  Eminem
Lupe Fiasco                       Imagine Dragons
Passenger                           Coldplay
Jonas Brothers                    B.o.B
Second Hand Serenade       Sondheim
  Bac                                   Nat King Cole

Okay so that was off the top of my head I probably missed alot especially in the 80's but these are some artists who I take something from stylistically in their voice or music. Right now I am trying to let out what is most natural to me. What do you guys think? Can I sing like a crooner then spit lyics like a poet to music melodies you may hear at a symphony... but with a booming bass and tribal beats?

1 comment:

  1. Forgot to mention Joahaan S. Bach and Vivaldi as HUGE influences as I've been playin the since 3rd grade!

    ReplyDelete