Thursday, May 1, 2014

Do You Like Auditioning???

Hi! So we had the second day of "Tarzan" auditions yesterday; they went really well! 

I have always loved auditioning; any and all kinds of auditioning:) I think the thrill and the little bit of butterflies I get when I enter the room is an invigorating feeling. I don't get as much nervous as I get jumpy? with anticipation of what is going to happen. I always practice hard and prepare a song and anything else I might need; and beforehand I am generally feeling pretty good about it. But then I am usually a bit disappointed when its over because I never quite feel like I've done my best. Especially when whoever is sitting in those chairs on the other side of the room watching me are hard to read. As an auditionee I want to give the directer what he wants, I want to be "the one" that he is looking for. And it is nerve-wracking because I will never actually know what that is....no one will. He might not even know until it walks in the room! 

But then I learned what it was like to be in that chair on the other side. I realized that it isn't just about being perfect and polished, there are a lot of different aspects that go into picking someone for any given part. Workability is a big part. Someone has to have raw talent, obviously, but they also have to be willing to listen and want to learn. They need to be moldable. As a director I like to have someone who is "perfect for the part", the person I envisioned, but that person doesn't ever just appear; I thoroughly enjoy working someone until they can get to that point. I can tell when its inside and I just need to get it out, but I have to first see that it is a possibility. 

I also like to see that they want it. If someone comes in the room with the best voice I've ever heard but looks like they would rather be dead than be auditioning I am more inclined to give the part to someone who is a little less polished but will work for it and will want to work for it. They need to have a spirit and passion that I can see. 

Now I know a lot of people get nervous but I feel like that can help. Just take that nervousness and let it empower you. Any director (well almost any director) would rather you give it your all and not be perfect than do everything halfway in anticipation of messing up. 

Well that is all for today...until next time!:)  

No comments:

Post a Comment