Saturday, April 5, 2014

Saturday Night in the City: Spring Awaits

There are some phases in life when I completely drop off the face of the earth. Busy with work, with school, with existential crisis, with whatever. Unfortunately, you caught me in one of those phases in the past month or so I haven’t been able to post. And for those of you new readers in the past month of Sing for America’s blog, hello. I’m Tristan J. Shuler. As you’ll hear, I live in New York City (and the irony of that is I always only find time to post here when I’m visiting the Lehigh Valley) but a lot has gone on in the past month. Tarzan?! SAY WHAA, SO EXCITED. I only have ONE WEEK left of classes before my examination plays at the Academy. I’m a manager at a restaurant I’ve been working at in Chelsea. I love going to gym (who knew that would ever happen), and I’m back on my feet.

Everyone has those significant events that set them back or set them forward, but nonetheless move them somehow. One of my greatest friends that I’ve met in the city experienced a huge loss weeks ago, and it’s odd, because well, that’s not my loss so why should I be affected? And yet I think it meant more to me than even makes sense. Death is some crazy phenomenon that no one really likes to talk about, but it’s so important. What’s even more important is making our lives worth the most that they can be. Watching someone and trying to help someone mourn, if that’s even possible, is one of the hardest things I’ve yet to face, but still I feel like it has been one of the most important experiences. My empathy has developed and, more importantly, I learned how to stay by someone’s side in perhaps the hardest situation for them to deal with. And the beauty of it is that we can all accept how human we are, because when we do that, we are a community. We are an ensemble of people who can live and work together. We are humanity. Not such a crazy thing.

In other aspects, I think humanity certainly must be crazy with some of the people I see each day. I crossed paths with a woman the other day on the sidewalk who stopped before me and yelled, “WILL  YOU JUST SHUT THE F*** UP?!?!” I was like, “Um…uh…did I say anything.” And then she started hacking like a cat with a hairball stuck in its throat and I don’t know if I should have called the ambulance perhaps but instead I went and got a cookie at Subway. Should I feel ashamed? Or nah.

It’s that time of the year where I’m thinking, “Oh gosh, what’s next?” This month has flown by. All the grief in retrospect seems like a few days. It all kind of mixes together, and that’s only how I feel as an outsider. Time flies. And now my friend is on his feet again, struggling but there. And I think he’s doing amazingly. He inspires me and I love seeing him as much as I do. I don’t know if I’ll stop worrying about him for a while, but we’re back. And Spring is here. Beautiful springtime. I think everyone has their own blossoming of Spring, when things fall into place for them after a hectic Winter or the future starts to look bright again! I’m waiting for my Springtime blossoming.

David Mamet theorizes in “Three Uses of the Knife” about how human nature is to make relations between the weather and mood or the weather and everyday luck. “I don’t feel good because of the rain” or “Everyone’s moody – it’s cloudy outside.” “it must be the weather.” I don’t know if it’s a frivolous thing to blame the weather for our own faults, but I’ll go ahead and blame the weather for the future looking up. This summer is going to be amazing. Beautiful and warm and eventful. Sing for America’s on a role. Youth theatre is ever so powerful. And your Spring time is coming. Promise.

Oh oh oh! And one last thing, some PHENOMENAL theatre artists I know are producing a series called “Goody Goody,” filming its pilot in May of this year. There’s only about 10 MORE DAYS to help them find the funds to do so, and I suggest you check it out for sure! It’s an historical comedy about colonial women finding their ways in a newfound celibate society. Hilarious, and I think a definite success! These, I remind you, are some of the people who have fostered me as an actor and director, and therefore, I think simply must be the bee’s knees! DO IT!

I’m back,

Tristan J. Shuler









R.I.P. Nikki Scott
R.I.P. Grandma Piegza

No comments:

Post a Comment