Friday, July 18, 2014

One track mind?

     So the night Tarzan closed there I was, laying in bed, thinking. Everything I'd kept in the back of my mind suddenly came flooding through like a dam that had just been broken. Memories from the last three months played and replayed, but accompanying them was everything I had gradually pushed down and temporarily suffocated as we all became more and more engulfed in Tarzan. I fished around for my notebook in the dark as ideas and lyrics became too much to keep inside my head. And I couldn't find it. I couldn't find it! And not only could I not find my special notebook, but I also couldn't find any of the six I always have by my pillow. Always.
     I think it's honorable when one decides to devote one's entire self to a current project, I do. But what about when alongside the current there are constants? Should we just put everything else on hold? "I'll get back to it when I'm done," well ok but then what about when the next current begins, which will no doubt be soon? We must train our eyes to see the forest for the trees. I think the real trick is compartmentalizing. It is an art in itself, and not an easy one to master at that. I don't think it's beneficial to try to devote oneself to more than one thing at any given moment, but rather to create moments for everything one wants to devote oneself to. Easier said than done, I know, especially when some things don't have the same kind of concrete deadline as others.
     The other thing to look at then is frustration or hitting a mental block. To be able to pick something else up and switch tracks without having to spend hours dusting it off first is so helpful to creativity. Instead of banging your head against a wall when it's all too obvious you are not getting anywhere with that right now, work on something else entirely, knowing that it is just as worth your time; just as important. Not only will that obliterate wasting time and energy, but it allows one to exercise different parts of the mind, creating so much more freedom where any and all of the projects are concerned, resulting in clearer thought and better products all around.
     I know there's a bunch more to be written on this topic, meraki and all that, but I wanted to keep it short and simple for today. I'll get into it more another time. Thanks for reading. I hope this helps anyone who has the same trouble with getting too one-track-minded at any given time. I'll let you know how it's going for me in a few weeks.

Good night and happy creating:)

No comments:

Post a Comment