Thursday, March 13, 2014

What Makes A Good Show?

     
     Hello everyone! I thought I might leave you in the dark for two weeks in a row to see how much you really wanted to hear from this guy, and I know you want to so I'm gonna write one this week. I want to write about what to me makes a musical great (at least this is what makes it for me, you all might have different opinions.)
      Lets start from the top, THE MUSIC: This is actually the most important part the a musical for me hence the reason why it is called a musical for.... music. It's hard to describe what makes music good but I'm gonna take a whack at it so here goes. Personally I enjoy many types of music so that's not a big deal. So what I look for is for it to be exciting at some points but it also needs to have its softer moments too, which provides variety and keeps you anxiously waiting for the peek. Those moments are what make a show for me, it makes me sit on the edge of my seat the whole show to see what else it brings.
      THE SCRIPT: For me the script doesn't really effect my opinion of the show until it ruins the show. It will  never be the first thing I notice but at the end it will really make it or break it. Although I don't pay much attention to it I'm sure others do but I can't speak for them so I'm just not gonna.
      ACTORS: Now a lot of people get caught up in "you have to look like the part you are gonna play" and I believe that is BUNK BUNK BUNK BUNK BUNK BUNK BUNK BUNK BUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you are the best singer/actor/dancer that auditions for the show you deserve the role no matter what you look like. That means that a black girl can play one of the little children in the sound of music. It doesn't matter what you look like, if  you can make the audience feel the role then that's all that matters. And the same goes the other way, a white girl can play Aida if she can sing the notes and sound good doing it. I don't care, just do the part justice and you're fine.
      PIT ORCHESTRA: This is really important to me because I am a musician myself and I just really love to hear good music being played live. The fact is, without a pit I'm not saying you can't have a good show but for me it adds a hidden element that nothing else can recreate. So if you ever have the choice, pit or not, go with a pit you will be happy later on I promise.
     COSTUMES: This is a part of the show that can really kill you or make you sore into the sky with an amazing show (I'm just noticing that every part of the show is really freakin important so so far you kinda need to do everything right to have a chance at a great show.) I like colors on the stage, things that make my eyes pop, so I mean I'm kinda a child so that's just what I like, but to each his own... right? Anyway, I need there to be attention paid to detail or I don't want to see your costumes. Not in an intricate way but you need to have people in the right costumes at the right time and finish every detail from hair to what should be on your feet. That will make the show for me.
     Something that is legit the most important thing to me is what the actors look like on stage. Not that that really has anything to do with the show, it is just the look of either excitement or if the actors are totally drained and don't care and don't want to be there anymore. This is the most important to me because if the actors don't care but are extremely talented I would rather see the show of untalented actors who care and are giving it there all. These are the things that make a show great, that is what I would want to see! Everyone please comment. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment