Wednesday, February 4, 2015

My Muse

This was my second official college essay( college is a bit anti-climactic if I say so myself-_- haha)! The course is finding your muse so this was the initial assignment. It's not my best work but hey I was sick ;P

Jewel Gilbert

Dr. Michael London

Finding Your Muse

January 28, 2015



 

Who Is Your Muse?

My muse is true greatness. I am drawn to, inspired by, and compelled by examples of pure greatness. Feats of physical prowess shape my dreams, innovations of man fuel my ambition and accounts of spiritual and moral strength create the picture I wish to paint. Yes, this may make me a kind of hero-worshiper, but I often do not adore the heroes of the general public for the same reasons they are adored by others. I could cite the greatness of dynamic Ray Lewis transcending just being a great linebacker on the field by being the heart and soul of an NFL organization. I could mention Michael Jordan, the greatest basketball player who ever lived or Jerry Rice, so humble, so outstanding and beyond a hard worker. I could discuss Journey’s lead singer, B.O.B.‘s lyrical ability, Nat King Cole’s pure tone, Benjamin Franklin's genius, George Washington's fortitude and honesty, or Alexander Hamilton’s genius. This list could go on, but I think my point is made. These people are all what I strive to be….great! But I did not say that greatness was my muse. I said true greatness is my muse, and to me that means great accomplishments for a great reason.

Pope John Paul II has affected all of our lives to a great extent. Almost without me even realizing it, he has had a huge personal and direct effect on mine. Pope John Paul II was an avid sportsman, playwright, writer, poet, patriot of Poland just an amazing man. The odds were not in his favor. He never should have ended up one of the most accomplished men in human history. In fact, it is amazing that he lived to adulthood, surviving through hardships most of us cannot imagine.

Karol Wojtyla’s homeland, Poland, was invaded by Nazi Germany as he approached adulthood. He experienced many family tragedies including the death of his brother, sister, and mother. Young Karol remained very alive and devoted to God and his Catholic faith. In his younger years he was routinely recognized as remarkable by his instructors, so much so that his archbishop inquired whether he was discerning the priesthood. At the time his parish priest answered that he was more interested in the theater. The man who would be pope loved the theater, even writing many plays and performing with his theatre troupe which stood against the communist and fascist tones of the time. As the Nazi’s invaded he fought as a Polish patriot and risked his life over and over. Many say that it is a miracle that Karol lived through these times of trial and strife, but truthfully his life was made full by these moments.

Karol Wojytla joined the seminary in 1942, and at this point it was unbelievable to think he would be appointed Pontificate of the Roman Catholic Church. This is part of why he so inspires me, his is the classic underdog story. From humble beginnings Karol climbed in esteem and rank and became ordained. He wrote many books with clear and intelligent explorations of the philosophy of the teachings of the Church. He was able to take a church teaching and explain it from a logical standpoint in such a concise and extremely elevated manner. This put him in the ranks of St. Thomas Aquinas, St. Augustine, St. Paul and other Doctors of the Church. As he grew older popes kept him in close company. He was appointed bishop and then cardinal and was becoming one of the leaders of the church.

In 1978 Pope John Paul I died, making his the shortest papacy in history at just 33 days. Never did anyone think a Pollack would be announced as the Vicar of Christ on earth, the successor to St. Peter, the rock of the church. As Karol Wojtyla’s name was announced history was made and Pope John Paul II was now the first Polish pope.

His pontificate saw accomplishments, evangelization, and strength which is worthy of his being called great. He was a dynamic and true leader, speaking to the people as a pope of the people. He is the most traveled pope of all time visiting every populated continent and uniting the universal church while strengthening the connection to the foundation of the faith. He began World Youth Day which is an outpouring of excitement and energy from around the globe through a renewal of faith among the youth. He apologized on behalf of the Catholic Church as a whole for mistakes members of the church have made since Jesus Christ's death. He was fundamental to ending the Cold War and fighting the advance of Communism worldwide. For over 26 years as pope he gave billions hope where there was none.

When you assigned this paper I thought long and hard to choose a topic as idols from Ash Ketchum to Deion Sanders popped into my mind. I have numerous heroes, muses per say, I thought. That is when I came upon the common thread of true greatness. It moves me. In contemplation it hit that one of my biggest heroes has shaped my life more than I even realize. He became my muse when I wasn’t looking. I connect to his interest in theatre while living for sport and his love for writing creatively as well as his philosophical depth and hardline stance. I admire his patriotism, his global conscience, his connection to the blessed mother, and above all his passionate faith. These are all paralels I draw in my life, traits I strive for. When I look at the life of JP2 it is so compelling because my interests are close to his, and looking to how he lived and expressed himself are inspiring.

Now Karol Wojtyla is Saint Pope John Paul II, canonized saint in an historically fast time frame after death. A giant of history, a simple Polish boy, my muse.

No comments:

Post a Comment